CAA Men's Basketball Report | Feb. 7, 2022
CAA Men's Basketball Report | Feb. 7, 2022
Catch up on the CAA Men's Basketball weekly news, notes, and awards.
SCHEDULE AND RESULTS
Monday, January 31
UNCW 70, Drexel 63 *
Thursday, February 3
James Madison 76, Northeastern 71 *
Drexel 76, Delaware 68 *
Towson 78, Hofstra 68 *
Elon 78, UNCW 65 *
Charleston 84, William & Mary 61 *
Saturday, February 5
Hofstra 85, James Madison 78 (OT) *
Charleston 66, Elon 64 *
Northeastern 58, Towson 53 *
UNCW 92, William & Mary 70 *
Monday, February 7
UNCW at Hofstra * (CBSSN).......................................................... 5 p.m.
James Madison at Drexel * (NBCSP+/FloHoops).......................... 7 p.m.
Thursday, February 10
William & Mary at Towson * (CBSSN)........................................... 5 p.m.
Northeastern at Delaware * (NBCSP/FloHoops).......................... 7 p.m.
Hofstra at Drexel * (NBCSP+/FloHoops)....................................... 7 p.m.
Elon at James Madison * (FloHoops)............................................. 7 p.m.
Saturday, February 12
Elon at Towson * (FloHoops)......................................................... 2 p.m.
Northeastern at Drexel * (FloHoops)............................................. 2 p.m.
William & Mary at James Madison * (NBCSW+/FloHoops).......... 4 p.m.
Hofstra at Delaware * (FloHoops)............................................ 6:30 p.m.
Charleston at UNCW * (FloHoops)................................................. 7 p.m.
WEEKLY AWARD WINNERS
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Aaron Estrada, Hofstra
Junior | Guard | Woodbury, N.J. / St. Benedict’s
Estrada earned his league-leading fourth CAA Player of the Week honor after he averaged 28.5 points per game on 62% shooting and 53% from three while adding 5.0 assists, 3.5 rebounds, and 1.5 steals per game. The guard from New Jersey scored 22 points on 8-of-13 from the field and dished out seven assists in Hofstra’s Thursday setback against Towson before erupting for a career-high 35 points with six threes and six rebounds to lift the Pride to an overtime win over James Madison on Saturday. Estrada played 80 of a possible 85 minutes during the week’s action, including 42 of 45 in the OT victory against JMU.
ROOKIE OF THE WEEK
Jyare Davis, Delaware
Freshman | Forward | Newark, Del. / Sanford
Davis earns back-to-back Rookie of the Week honors as he has risen to the occasion in an expanded role in recent weeks. The forward from Newark scored 12 points on 5-of-8 shooting and grabbed five rebounds in 25 minutes of action Thursday against Drexel. Davis has averaged 17.0 points on 68% from the field and 6.0 rebounds over his last two games dating back to the January 31 win over James Madison.
NEWS AND NOTES
SATURDAY’S FORECAST: LOW TO MID 30s
For the first time this season, two CAA players scored 30+ points on the same night Saturday. Hofstra’s Aaron Estrada matched the conference season high with 35 points in the Pride’s win over James Madison, while UNCW’s Mike Okauru scored 30 in a victory at William & Mary.
Okauru was 8-of-10 from three to match his career-high scoring output; Estrada shot 6-of-10 from distance in a career-best point total.
Hofstra’s Aaron Estrada has risen to the ranks of the CAA’s leading scorer during a remarkable offensive stretch. Estrada has scored 20 or more points in eight conference games, highlighted by 30-point efforts in wins over Delaware, Charleston, and James Madison. Hofstra’s No. 4 leads the CAA with 24.1 points per game in conference contests and leads the conference with four Player of the Week honors.
YEAR OF THE TIGER?
Towson has risen 208 spots in KenPom from the end of the 2020-21 season to Friday, climbing from 298 to 90. The last CAA team to finish the year higher than the Tigers’ current KenPom standing was the 2018-19 Northeastern team that finished No. 89.
WELCOME TO THE CAA!
The CAA announced the additions of Hampton, Monmouth, and Stony Brook as full members of the league for the 2022-23 season. The Pirates join from the Big South, the Hawks from the MAAC, and the Seawolves from the America East. All three played at least one CAA team in this year’s non-conference schedule.
ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT (AND EVERY NIGHT)
37 of 53 games so far in CAA play have been decided by single digits, 18 by four points or less, and six by a one-point difference. The CAA ranks fourth among all conferences with 30.2% (16 of 53) games with a margin of less than four points or overtime.
LUCKY NUMBER NINE?
UNCW leads the CAA at 10-1 after opening conference play with nine straight victories. The Seahawks were picked ninth in the CAA preseason poll - the same spot occupied the previous October by 2021 regular season champion James Madison.
ONE BY ONE
The nation’s top two free throw shooters are in the CAA, as Hofstra’s Aaron Estrada leads the nation at 95.1% and Charleston’s Reyne Smith ranks second at 94.8%.
James Madison’s Vado Morse (85.3%) and Elon’s Torrence Watson (85.2%) join Estrada and Smith in the top 75 nationally.
Reyne Smith won his fifth CAA Rookie of the Week honor January 24, as he and Ben Burnham have combined to give Charleston eight of 12 honors this season. Smith has made 61 three-pointers in his freshman campaign, good for fourth among all D1 rookies. Smith leads all CAA freshmen in scoring (12.3 ppg) and added CBS Freshman of the Week honors earlier this season.
NOTHING BUT NET
Towson leads CAA teams in the NET rankings at 87, while Hofstra is second at 112. Charleston holds a Quad 1 win with a victory at Chattanooga and Hofstra added one at Arkansas.
Hofstra has played seven total games against Q1 and Q2 with wins at Arkansas and Monmouth, while Charleston has faced six. Elon (21) and Hofstra (37) played two of the toughest non-conference schedules in the nation this winter, per the NET rankings.
Towson’s Cam Holden leads the CAA with eight double-doubles this winter, which ranks 29th nationally.
Drexel’s James Butler, Northeastern’s Chris Doherty, Elon’s Michael Graham, and Delaware’s Dylan Painter are tied for second in the CAA with six double-doubles each.
GET OUT THE VOTE
The CAA has played 109 non-conference games against Division I competition with a challenging slate against both Top 25 and mid-major foes:
11 games against teams ranked or receiving votes in Monday’s AP or coaches Top 25
18 games against teams ranked or receiving votes in last week’s CollegeInsider Mid-Major Top 25
UNCW is ranked No. 22 in the most recent Mid-Major Top 25, while Towson, James Madison, and Hofstra are receiving votes.
Charleston (13-9, 5-5)
• Dimitrius Underwood is 14th nationally in steals per game ... Underwood’s 2.3 steals per game lead CAA players in conference games.
• Charleston’s current three-game winning streak leads the CAA.
• Charleston is 10th nationally with 41.09 rebounds per game.
• The Cougars swept an in-season home-and-home with Tulane and hold a NET Quad 1 win over Chattanooga.
Delaware (15-8, 6-4)
• Jyare Davis is averaging 17.0 points per game on 68% shooting over his last two games.
• Ryan Allen has risen to ninth in CAA history with 289 made three-pointers ... American’s Nathan Smith (293) ranks eighth.
• Kevin Anderson’s 5.1 assists in conference games lead all CAA players.
• Ryan Allen’s 35-point effort in a win over La Salle is tied for the top scoring performance by a CAA player this season.
Drexel (10-10, 5-5)
• James Butler is 35 rebounds away from being the 11th player to collect 1,000 in his career in the CAA ... Five have achieved the feat in the last decade, including Samme Givens in 2011-12.
• Camren Wynter is 29-for-29 at the free throw line in CAA games and has made 33 straight dating back to December 11 ... Wynter would enter the top 10 in conference history for longest made free throw streak by sinking his next two.
• Wynter stands at 535 career assists, good for 10th in CAA history ... Drexel alum Frantz Massenat is ninth in the CAA record book with 548 career assists.
Elon (7-17, 4-7)
• Elon shot a season-best 59.6% in Thursday’s win over UNCW.
• Hunter McIntosh’s 35 made threes are the second most of any player in CAA games.
• Michael Graham leads the CAA with a 70.9% field goal percentage in conference games.
• Elon played seven high-major opponents in its non-conference schedule and five Quad 1 teams.
Hofstra (14-9, 6-4)
• Jalen Ray’s 285 three-pointers rank 10th in CAA history ... Ray and Delaware’s Ryan Allen are next aiming to pass American’s Nathan Smith (293).
• Aaron Estrada has scored 20+ points eight times in CAA games ... Estrada leads the CAA with 24.1 points per game against league foes.
• The Pride is second nationally in free throw percentage (80.7) ... Aaron Estrada leads the nation individually at 95.1%.
• Hofstra holds a Quad 1 win over Arkansas and a Quad 2 win at Monmouth ... The Pride took Houston to overtime and played a one-possession game at Maryland.
James Madison (13-8, 4-6)
• Vado Morse ranks second in the CAA with 21.6 points per game against league competition and leads the conference with 36 made threes in those games.
• JMU’s 23-point comeback against William & Mary is the third largest in Division I this season.
• JMU’s 9.4 steals per game rank 14th in the nation.
• The Dukes’ 135 points against Carlow were the most by a CAA team since George Mason in November 1995 ... James Madison’s 55 made field goals and 39 assists were records for a CAA team.
UNCW (16-6, 10-1)
• Nine of UNCW’s 10 CAA wins have been decided by eight points or less.
• The Seahawks hold a +5.2 turnover margin in CAA games.
• UNCW’s 12-game winning streak from Dec. 11-Jan. 31 was the longest in program history, eclipsing an 11-game streak by the 2015-16 Seahawks.
• Jaylen Sims’ buzzer-beating three to win at James Madison was the No. 1 play on SportsCenter.
Northeastern (7-16, 1-11)
• Chris Doherty leads the league with 9.2 rebounds per game on the season and ranks eighth nationally in offensive rebounds per game (3.55).
• Doherty’s is one of five CAA players with 6+ double-doubles this season ... He added two more in Thursday’s game vs. JMU and Saturday’s win over Towson.
• The Huskies hold two of the CAA’s seven wins over the A10 this winter ... The CAA is 7-4 as a conference against the A10.
• Northeastern erased a 20-point deficit to defeat Colgate.
Towson (17-7, 8-3)
• Towson is 208 spots above its final 2020-21 ranking in KenPom, climbing from 298 to 90.
• The Tigers’ Thursday game vs. William & Mary has been selected as a CBS Sports Network Wild Card game.
• Jason Gibson has matched Towson’s single-game record with eight three-pointers twice this season (Coppin State, Hofstra).
• Cam Holden is the first Division I player with 20 points, 19 rebounds, and eight assists in a game since Cleveland State’s Norris Cole in 2011.
William & Mary (5-19, 4-7)
• Brandon Carroll has 31 blocks in 21 games this season.
• Julian Lewis and Langdon Hatton earned the Tribe two of the first four CAA Rookie of the Week awards of conference play.
• W&M alum and former CAA Player of the Year Nathan Knight made his first NBA start for Minnesota against Boston, scoring a career-high 20 points and grabbing 11 rebounds.
• Tyler Rice’s nine assists in the opener at Wake Forest were the most by a CAA freshman over the last two seasons.
- Replay: Cornell vs Delaware | Dec 1 @ 7 PM
Dec 2, 2022
- Replay: Richmond vs William & Mary | Dec 1 @ 7 PM
Dec 2, 2022
- Replay: Winthrop vs UNCW | Dec 1 @ 11 AM
Dec 1, 2022
- Replay: Delaware St vs Delaware | Nov 30 @ 7 PM
Dec 1, 2022
- Replay: Lafayette vs Drexel | Nov 30 @ 7 PM
Dec 1, 2022
- Replay: Morgan St vs Towson | Nov 30 @ 7 PM
Dec 1, 2022
- CAA Women's Basketball Report - Nov. 28, 2022
Nov 29, 2022
- Replay: Michigan Tech vs UW-Parkside - Men's | Dec 1 @ 7 PM
Dec 2, 2022
- Replay: Grand Valley St. vs Ferris St. - Men's | Dec 1 @ 8 PM
Dec 2, 2022