CAA Men's Basketball Report | Feb. 14, 2022
CAA Men's Basketball Report | Feb. 14, 2022
Catch up on the CAA Men's Basketball weekly news, notes, and awards.
Monday, February 7
Hofstra 73, UNCW 71 *
Drexel 72, James Madison 66 *
Thursday, February 10
Elon 70, James Madison 66 *
Hofstra 83, Drexel 73 *
Delaware 74, Northeastern 61 *
Towson 75, William & Mary 60 *
Saturday, February 12
UNCW 85, Charleston 79 *
Hofstra 80, Delaware 66 *
James Madison 69, William & Mary 55 *
Drexel 67, Northeastern 51 *
Towson 86, Elon 50 *
Monday, February 14
William & Mary at UNCW * (FloHoops)........................... 2 p.m.
Drexel at Charleston * (FloHoops)................................... 7 p.m.
James Madison at Delaware * (FloHoops)...................... 7 p.m.
Tuesday, February 15
Hofstra at Elon * (FloHoops)........................................... 7 p.m.
Thursday, February 17
Towson at UNCW * (CBSSN)........................................... 6 p.m.
Drexel at William & Mary * (FloHoops)........................... 7 p.m.
James Madison at Charleston * (FloHoops).................... 7 p.m.
Delaware at Elon * (FloHoops)........................................ 7 p.m.
Saturday, February 19
Northeastern at Hofstra * (FloHoops)............................ 2 p.m.
Delaware at William & Mary * (YurView/FloHoops)....... 4 p.m.
Towson at Charleston * (FloHoops)................................ 4 p.m.
Drexel at Elon * (FloHoops)............................................. 4 p.m.
James Madison at UNCW * (FloHoops)........................... 7 p.m.
WEEKLY AWARD WINNERS
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Aaron Estrada, Hofstra
Junior | Guard | Woodbury, N.J. / St. Benedict’s
Estrada wins his league-leading fifth honor of the year and second-consecutive selection after three more stellar performances in Hofstra wins. The guard from New Jersey averaged 25.3 points per game on 55% from the field and 60% (12-of-20) from three while adding 6.7 rebounds, 4.3 assists, and 1.3 steals per game. Estrada scored 23 points in a two-point win over first-place UNCW, poured in 32 in a win at Drexel, and scored 21 in a victory at Drexel. He has scored 20 or more points in 11 of 13 CAA games.
ROOKIE OF THE WEEK
Jyare Davis, Delaware
Freshman | Forward | Newark, Del. / Sanford
Davis collects his third-straight Rookie of the Week honor with 14.0 points per game on 63% shooting while grabbing 4.0 rebounds per game. The forward from Newark scored 12 points on 6-of-9 from the field while adding five rebounds, two assists, and two blocks in Thursday’s victory over Northeastern before tallying a team-high 16 points in Saturday’s clash with Hofstra. Davis is averaging 15.5 points per game over his last four contests with 12 or more in all of them.
NEWS AND NOTES
LUCKY NUMBER NINE?
UNCW leads the CAA at 11-2 after opening conference play with nine straight victories. The Seahawks were picked ninth in the CAA preseason poll - the same spot occupied the previous October by 2021 regular season champion James Madison.
UNCW is the first team with 11 wins in its first 13 CAA games since Hofstra in 2018-19.
YEAR OF THE TIGER?
Towson has risen 214 spots in KenPom from the end of the 2020-21 season, climbing from 298 to 84 as of Monday. The last CAA team to finish the year higher than the Tigers’ current KenPom standing was the 2016-17 UNCW team that finished the year No. 59. Towson was as high as No. 62 in the NET this season (a CAA record) and leads the state of Maryland in the NCAA’s metric.
Towson’s 19 wins this season lead the CAA and the 19-7 start is the Tigers’ best through 26 games in the program’s Division I history.
HEATING UP: HOFSTRA
Hofstra’s Aaron Estrada has risen to the ranks of the CAA’s leading scorer during a remarkable offensive stretch. Estrada has scored 20 or more points in 11 of 13 conference games, highlighted by 30-point efforts in wins over Delaware, Charleston, James Madison, and Drexel. The guard from New Jersey leads the CAA with 24.4 points per game in conference contests and leads the conference with five Player of the Week honors.
Hofstra’s current four-game winning streak is best in the conference and the Pride’s 17 total victories are tied with UNCW for second among CAA teams.
WELCOME TO THE CAA!
The CAA announced the additions of Hampton, Monmouth, and Stony Brook as full members of the league for the 2022-23 season. The Pirates join from the Big South, the Hawks from the MAAC, and the Seawolves from the America East. All three played at least one CAA team in this year’s non-conference schedule.
LIKE OFFENSE? YOU’VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE
Conference play in the CAA has seen an impressive rate of the ball going through the basket. Some of the categories in which the CAA ranks in the top 10 among the 32 conferences in league games:
• Two-Point FG%: 2nd (52.3)
• Three-Point FG%: 9th (34.9)
• Free Throw%: 6th (73.7)
• Effective FG%: 3rd (52.3)
• KenPom Efficiency: 4th (105.3)
Elon’s Hunter McIntosh reached 1,000 points for his Phoenix career on Thursday, becoming the seventh active CAA player to score 1,000 or more points in a conference member’s uniform.
1. 1,723 Ryan Allen, Delaware
2. 1,660 Jalen Ray, Hofstra
3. 1,560 Camren Wynter, Drexel
4. 1,266 Kevin Anderson, Delaware
5. 1,202 James Butler, Drexel
6. 1,128 Jaylen Sims, UNCW
7. 1,025 Hunter McIntosh, Elon
NOTHING BUT NET
Towson leads CAA teams in the NET rankings at 80, while Hofstra is second at 104. Charleston holds a Quad 1 win with a victory at Chattanooga and Hofstra added one at Arkansas.
Hofstra has played seven total games against Q1 and Q2 with wins at Arkansas and Monmouth, while Charleston and Elon have faced six. Elon (24) and Hofstra (42) played two of the toughest non-conference schedules in the nation this winter, per the NET rankings.
Charleston (13-10, 5-6)
• Dimitrius Underwood is 14th nationally with 2.30 steals per game ... Underwood’s 2.5 steals per game lead CAA players in conference games.
• Reyne Smith is 27-for-27 from the free-throw line in CAA play and 55-for-58 on the season.
• Charleston is eighth nationally with 41.00 rebounds per game.
• The Cougars swept an in-season home-and-home with Tulane and hold a NET Quad 1 win over Chattanooga.
Delaware (16-9, 7-5)
• Delaware’s 54.4 effective field goal percentage ranks 30th nationally, while its 55.2% rate on two-pointers vs. D1 opponents places the Blue Hens 20th.
• Ryan Allen has risen to a tie for eighth in CAA history with 293 made three-pointers with American alum Nathan Smith and current Hofstra guard Jalen Ray ... Allen is two back of George Mason’s Lamar Butler for seventh.
• Ebby Asamoah leads the CAA with a 51.5% mark from three-point range in conference games.
• Ryan Allen’s 35-point effort in a win over La Salle is tied for the top scoring performance by a CAA player this season.
Drexel (12-11, 7-6)
• James Butler is 22 rebounds away from being the 11th player to collect 1,000 in his career in the CAA ... Five have achieved the feat in the last decade, including Drexel’s Samme Givens in 2011-12.
• Butler is seventh nationally in defensive rebounding percentage at 31.2%.
• Camren Wynter stands at 552 career assists, three shy of Old Dominion’s Drew Williamson (2004-07) for eighth in CAA history.
• Amari Williams’ 33 blocks in CAA play are eight more than the next-highest total.
Elon (8-18, 5-8)
• Elon shot a season-best 59.6% to hand UNCW its first loss of CAA play on Feb. 3.
• The Phoenix has taken a conference-leading 45.1% of field goal attempts from outside the three-point line.
• Michael Graham is second in the CAA in field-goal percentage (68.4%) and total blocks (25) in conference play.
• Elon played seven high-major opponents in its non-conference schedule and four Quad 1 teams.
Hofstra (17-9, 9-4)
• Jalen Ray has risen to a tie for eighth in CAA history with 293 made three-pointers with American alum Nathan Smith and current Delaware guard Ryan Allen ... Ray is two back of George Mason’s Lamar Butler for seventh.
• Aaron Estrada has scored 20+ points 11 times in CAA games ... Estrada leads the CAA with 24.4 points per game against league foes.
• The Pride currently holds the CAA’s longest winning streak at four games.
• Hofstra holds a Quad 1 win over Arkansas and a Quad 2 win at Monmouth ... The Pride took Houston to overtime and played a one-possession game at Maryland.
James Madison (14-10, 5-8)
• Vado Morse ranks second in the CAA with 20.4 points per game against league competition and leads the conference with 45 made threes in those games.
• Justin Amadi’s 65.8 effective field goal percentage ranks 14th nationally, while his 68.3% mark on two-pointers against D1 opponents is good for 23rd.
• JMU’s 9.2 steals per game rank 19th in the nation.
• The Dukes’ 135 points against Carlow were the most by a CAA team since George Mason in 1995 ... James Madison’s 55 made field goals and 39 assists were records for a CAA team.
UNCW (17-7, 11-2)
• UNCW is the first CAA team at 11-2 or better through 13 conference games since Hofstra was 12-1 in 2018-19.
• James Baker Jr. leads the CAA in conference games at 68.8% on field goals.
• UNCW’s 12-game winning streak from Dec. 11-Jan. 31 was the longest in program history, eclipsing an 11-game streak by the 2015-16 Seahawks.
• Jaylen Sims’ buzzer-beating three to win at James Madison was the No. 1 play on SportsCenter.
Northeastern (7-18, 1-13)
• Chris Doherty leads the league with 9.2 rebounds per game on the season ... Doherty is second in the CAA with seven double-doubles.
• Doherty is sixth nationally in offensive rebounds per game (3.62) and 17th in offensive rebounding percentage (15.7).
• The Huskies hold two of the CAA’s seven wins over the A10 this winter ... The CAA is 7-4 as a conference against the A10.
• Northeastern erased a 20-point deficit to defeat Colgate.
Towson (19-7, 10-3)
• Towson is 214 spots above its final 2020-21 ranking in KenPom, climbing from 298 to 84.
• The Tigers’ 86-50 win Saturday was the program’s largest margin of victory over a Division I opponent since a 122-58 win over Buffalo on March 7, 1992.
• Jason Gibson has matched Towson’s single-game record with eight three-pointers twice this season (Coppin State, Hofstra).
• Cam Holden is the first Division I player with 20 points, 19 rebounds, and eight assists in a game since Cleveland State’s Norris Cole in 2011.
William & Mary (5-21, 4-9)
• Brandon Carroll has 32 blocks in 23 games this season.
• Julian Lewis and Langdon Hatton earned the Tribe two of the first four CAA Rookie of the Week awards of conference play.
• W&M alum and former CAA Player of the Year Nathan Knight made his first NBA start for Minnesota against Boston, scoring a career-high 20 points and grabbing 11 rebounds.
• Tyler Rice’s nine assists in the opener at Wake Forest were the most by a CAA freshman over the last two seasons.
- Replay: Cornell vs Delaware | Dec 1 @ 7 PM
Dec 2, 2022
- Replay: Richmond vs William & Mary | Dec 1 @ 7 PM
Dec 2, 2022
- Replay: Winthrop vs UNCW | Dec 1 @ 11 AM
Dec 1, 2022
- Replay: Delaware St vs Delaware | Nov 30 @ 7 PM
Dec 1, 2022
- Replay: Lafayette vs Drexel | Nov 30 @ 7 PM
Dec 1, 2022
- Replay: Morgan St vs Towson | Nov 30 @ 7 PM
Dec 1, 2022
- Replay: Old Dominion vs Charleston | Nov 29 @ 7 PM
Nov 30, 2022
- Replay: St. Francis (Brooklyn) vs Monmouth | Dec 1 @ 7 PM
Dec 2, 2022
- Replay: Cincinnati vs NC A&T | Dec 1 @ 6 PM
Dec 2, 2022